Thursday, April 26, 2012

How I ended up in Ecuador

One of the questions that usually follows people finding out I live in Ecuador, is how I ended up there, and what I did.  So. . .just a brief bio on all that.

I had always wanted to live abroad, initially I wanted to go to Africa, but the airfare was very expensive, so I choose Ecuador instead after reading about it.

I was twenty, working as an Emergency Medical Tech in Milwaukee, and I was on a waiting list at a community college for nursing school.  So I decided to go to Ecuador for 10 months, and then return for school.  At the end of my 10 months, a friend who as an engineer encouraged me to stay for a big building project so I could work in first aid.  He had recruited a lot of my local friends, and well, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.  Funny thing is, the only one I helped was myself.  I broke my finger the first week.

But I ended up staying for three years, and getting married.  (Still married to the guy!)  We have two daughters now, ages 11 and 5, and if they ever wanted to do that, the answer would be NO!  If they insisted, I'd pack up and go with them.  I'm sure my husband would follow. 

In retrospect, it's really amazing nothing REALLY bad happened to me, 'cuz bad stuff did happen.  It just could have been worse. 

Part of the adventurer spirit came from wanting to have something interesting to write about someday, so I think a lot of you writers out there get that.

12 comments:

  1. You've lived a life most of us would never dream of living! And there's so much more ahead! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! There is so much I still want to do. I dream big:)

      Delete
  2. Honey, this sounds like something my older daughter would do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful how your adventurous side led you to your future spouse and family. I'm sure your experiences abroad provide plenty of inspiration for stuff to write about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. We talk about our chance meeting and how it all worked out. He's my perfect match.

      Delete
  4. Your post made me smile ! :-)

    I would love to read more about your life in Ecuador if you feel like sharing, of course !

    Happy Friday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why I haven't written about it sooner. But of course I'd love to share the stories!

      Delete
  5. New follower here! :)

    What an awesome life! You certainly are living an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! As for the awesome life, it is, but not so adventurous now. I drive a minivan and tote my kids around town. Need I say more.

      Delete
    2. Hey, toting kids around town can be pretty adventurous and dangerous.

      Delete
    3. The way I drive, you're probably right! :)

      Delete