Monday, June 18, 2012

Money

Gratuitous cute kitty pics! (This is my foster kitten from my previous post. Nice, fat, and healthy. He'll be getting his shots next week and going up for adoption.)

I found this quote on a bumper sticker at a dollar store, and it made me laugh.

"Money talks, it's just mine always says goodbye."

Funny but true. That's for sure what my money has been saying, and I'm one of the fortunate. My husband makes good money, and I work part-time as a nurse, also making good money, but we still can't seem to save anything. We are not big spenders. My walk-in closet is moderately filled with our combined clothes, and I rarely spend more than $20 for a pair of shoes. I hunt out my heels at TJ Maxx or check the sales racks.

I think our biggest money goes to vacations. We have a small camper and we go a couple of weeks a year on vacations with it. Even so, camping is not an expensive way to vacation.

I just returned to buying my animals generic food, which makes me feel guilty that I'm not getting them the best, but it's all in perspective. When I was in Ecuador I got my first dog a week after I was married. We traveled maybe once a month to buy groceries and visit my husband's family, and I would buy dog food for her. Dogfood for your dog is a luxury down there. Most dogs are fed scraps left over from people, if there are any.

Anyway, the whole point of the story is that I will be working more come fall when both my girls will be in school full time. I will still write. Now that I've started I'm addicted, but I'll have to find a balance for it. That being said, I'm ending my pitiful attempt at a Writers Workshop. It crashed and burned anyway, so before I completely fall off of the blogger radar, it was time to pull the plug. Thank you to the people who supported the idea.


17 comments:

  1. Urgh! Money. I so hear you on that one.

    Sometimes it takes awhile to figure out how your blog will work and what you want to write/share about. I know mine did. So I hope you keep experimenting and find what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's been a trial and error thing for me, but I have fun, so I'll hang around. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh no! What did I miss! I've been off blogesphere for a week! Just catching up. Finding the balance is something I work on every day, LOL... I'm pretty obsessed with writing right now... and those pictures are beyond adorable... makes me think of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry! You didn't miss anything! Glad you're getting a lot of writing done. At least that makes one of us :) I'm still trying to get my balancing act perfected.

      Delete
  3. Balancing is hard and our balance is constantly changing depending on what is influencing our lives right now. Sometimes we need to focus on one thing sometimes another. I hope the added hours work well for you but I hope you stick around here too. Those pics are adorable and if I lived closer I'd probably want to adopt it. We only have one cat right now. He's older and I miss kittens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always cats in plentiful supply in our shelter. I get my kitty fixes by fostering and this is the fourth cat I've had so far.
      I will still keep blogging, just not quite so much. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Hi Honey, totally understand. I sent you an e-mail, hopefully you got it. And those pictures are so gosh darn CUTE! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never tire of gratuitous cute kitty pics. They are adorable. Sorry to hear about your writer's workshop, but it sounds like you may have done the right thing. There's no sense making things difficult for yourself. You have to enjoy what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Glad you enjoyed the pictures!

      Delete
  6. Cute pics. I hope everything works out ok and you still manage to blog occasionally. Your attempt at writers workshop was excellent - I thought you did very well with it. Hope you can find that balance. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand where you're coming from, Honey. I was never too good at blogging on a specific schedule or topic. So now I just blog freestyle. It works out better with my personality. I hope all works out for you, and please KEEP writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started at 3 times a week but I think once will be just right. We'll see. I'm still morphing into a blogger and I've changed so many times I'm probably making people dizzy!

      Delete
  8. Well, compromise is always good. The animals will be fine with generic, and you'll learn what works best for you in the blogging world, and the world will turn. I don't know if it has to compromise, but then it's very big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, and you're right, the world goes on turning. My animals will be fine, as they were before I was guilt-tripped into buying expensive food.

      Delete
  9. I'm still a morphing blogger and it's been 5-ish years? I keep changing, too. Eh. It's the creativity in us. I LOVE the gratuitous cutey kitty pics. And the funny quote about money always saying goodbye. Mine doesn't even have the decency to say hi first.

    ReplyDelete