Sunday, November 24, 2013

Just Breathe

Just breathe.

That's something I need to remind myself to do once in awhile. I've been staying away from my blog because this year has been a bit overwhelming. Between a huge move, health issues, and a few big trips, I've had a lot going on.

Part of the problem is myself. I would describe myself as a chicken little, "the world's falling" kind. Add to the anxiety issues a type A perfectionist and yup! that's me. I don't know how to inspire myself to keep writing when it is seemingly impossible to break out into the book world. I don't even want huge success. I just want some acknowledgement, but I don't do well with failure and rejection. Yet that is part of the process.

At the end of the day- I still want to write. Maybe just for me, but I will write.

As a reader, I've been taking apart the books I read as a writer. I don't do it with books that make me forget I'm reading, the really good ones. But I find those good ones so few and far between. The current one I'm reading feels like the writer was watching a Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie. I'm bored. I don't want to read it anymore but I kinda want to know how it ends, so I'm trudging through it.

The writer tells instead of shows, and repeats things often, making me feel like he thinks his readers are dumb. And he's a best-selling author.

I don't mind a good action story, or movie for that matter, but you have to make it plausible. I'm one of those who misses the pre-special effects era when you actually had to have a plot. Same with books.

Finally, I know I didn't write much about my trip to Ecuador to visit my in-laws, but we did go, and the trip was wonderful. We had a really good time and no one got the stomach bug, which made it even better! I'd like to go back every year but we are currently broke and I'm looking for a job, so I don't think it will happen this year.

Whew! That was a lot. Thanks for hanging in there!

14 comments:

  1. Hey Rose! Good to hear from you.
    Glad your trip to Ecuador was good.
    Sad when a book from a really successful author bores you, and he does everything wrong. Of curse bad books will make the really good ones stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you too! It's such a boost when a successful author like you takes the time to stop by. . .
      Weeding through those bad books do make it that much more exciting to find good ones.

      Delete
  2. LOL! That bored book syndrome... I know I'm in trouble when I start reading "blah, blah, blah" rather than what's written on the page. I can get through the ultimate boring books--just check out my classics list--but we hold modern writers to a different standard, eh? It's a constantly evolving art too. What was considered good writing thirty years ago is now considered tedious. My mantra is "tension all the time."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm at the bored book syndrome right now. The book is supposed to be a thriller too. For me, it's all too cliche right now. You can only see/read "punch him, shoot him" so many times before it loses it's shock value.

      Delete
  3. Keep writing because you have stories to tell that no one else can tell. That's the inspiration I use. Will the world read our stories one day? I don't know...but I feel more complete having written them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I love that! You're right about it making me feel more complete when I write. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hey, Rose! Good to see you again. I echo everything Barbara said. Keep writing, keep reading. It's a journey and we can enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just. Breathe. I certainly need to tell myself this all the time. And I can understand how hard it can to shift back into an old routine after a long break, especially when so much is going on in your life. But sometimes the best way to get back into the groove is to forge a new one. (: Glad you had a nice time on your tirp and that you're writing again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels really good to begin again. Maybe it's for the best. Regardless, I'm happy to be around all of you again!

      Delete
  6. Good to hear from you Rose.
    Hang in there!
    And I always say that writing is a never-ending thing. Remember that it's all about enjoying the journey... the destination is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose! I've missed you! I'm so glad for the update--it's been forever. And keep the perspective. It is about the writing--not the huge success--but I do understand the acknowledgment thing. It's a twisted cycle, this whole process. But I do find it comforting that we're in this together--as cheesy as it sounds. :) It's a struggle, but it's cool that we can lift each other up and support each other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Rose, I'm popping in to wish you a happy, peaceful and productive 2014!
    Take care.
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete